Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Where exactly has the autumn gone, anyway?

I apologize for the quality of the picture - I just had to snap a shot of this incredibly beautiful bush but only had my cell phone with me.

But really, where has autumn gone? Here in central Illinois, we joke that we have three seasons - winter, summer and construction. It's sad, but true. The second I settle into light jacket weather and put away my open-toed high heels, it's time for thick winter coats, gloves and stocking caps.

Not to mention the push push push towards Xmas happening already this year. I noticed decorations start to appear in stores before Halloween and now, well, now it's in full force. The songs, the smells, the pressure to shop... it just makes me sick. I'm not all about Thanksgiving (it's a holiday of genocide, anyway), but I'd like a little time off from the consumerism and greed to just settle into the colder weather.

It definitely makes me a bit sad. Although, I don't mind being forced to stay indoors and drink hot cocoa. That sounds awfully Martha Stewart of me, huh? Who knew!? Maybe I'll add to that - watch some TV with the family. Put the child to bed. Have sharp edges driven into my skin until I have to force my head into a pillow so as not to wake the neighbors. You know, the contemporary version of what every woman wants on a cool, autumn evening.

Come on, you didn't think I'd changed that completely from the last blog to this one? I'm still your nasty, dirty little girl. It's just that I also am sentimental and intelligent. I like to call it "well-rounded."

0 souls have spoken.: